Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Requested

Being on a low carb diet now I had decided not to post what food I was eating. Low carb is just so different than counting calories or following a low fat diet, the food I eat now is NOT diet food. However, I have been  asked to start posting what I am eating again and I've decided that I will. That being said, I would like to share something I have learned in my 18yrs of dieting, Every Body is Different! What works for me might not work for you and visa versa. I have tried many, many diets and have stuck to many, many diets and have seen real results from very few. If  I had my choice of which one one my body would react best to I would pick a well rounded balanced diet and exercise program, not cutting anything completely out. Someday that is how I am going to maintain a "healthy weight", but for now, low carb is my body's choice. For those following a low carb diet like me, I hope this can be a place we share favorite recipes and tips, but I would also like to here the favorites of those following other eating plans. I have seven other people to feed in my family who are not eating the way I am, and I love having them try new healthy things.

When I figure the carb content of a certain food the formula is grams of carbs minus grams of fiber. The reasoning is ... the fiber carbs do not effect blood sugars like other carbs do. When I can't find the nutitional info on the food I'm eating, because I prefer food I have to prepare instead of pre-packaged,  I find the the information on sites like www.elook.org/nutrition . If the information doesn't seem quite right, I gather from more than one source and compare.

I started writing my meals down on Tuesday so here it goes: Breakfast - half of a three egg, spinach and provalone omlett(2carbs) I used egglands best, cage free eggs. They are 0 carbs, compared to the usual 1 carb per egg. Snack - Chocolate Atkins shake(1carb) Lunch - Salad. Green leaf lettuce, cucumber, tomatoe, green onions, red onions, and half an avocado with El Torito cilantro ceasar dressing(6 carbs) I need to cut back on the onions, high carbs with hardly any fiber. Avocado - great source of fiber. Dinner - 2 chilli cheese
bratwurst(6 carbs) Snack - Glass of Postom with heavy whipping cream and splenda(3 carbs) Toatl for the day 18 carbs. Exercise - 20 min Jillian dvd and 4 mile walk on Monday (total 1hr 20min) and nothing on Tuesday, yikes, hit the snooze in the morning and worked later than usual, threw my whole schedule off. I know, not a real good excuse, but it is what it is. Here is to making Wednessday better.

4 comments:

  1. Oh man, I miss Postum. A lot. Your comment about avocado made me remember.... I bought a book once called the "flat belly diet." The premise to the book was that the best way to kill belly fat (also called visceral fat... it's the most dangerous kind of fat) is to eat a MUFA with every meal. MUFA is "mono-unsaturated fatty acid" These include Oils, Olives, Nuts and Seeds, Avocados and DARK chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy, not very often do diet tips sound so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Postum!!! I have less than half a bottle left and it is somewhat sad everytime I have some.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm trying to cut back my desserts/treats. That's my weakness. I saw on a website (can't remember which one) that fruit bars are a good treat. I bought 2 boxes of them over a week ago, and have only had maybe 2. They really are a GREAT treat, but so much more healthy. I get the Dreyer's fruit bars (no sugar added). I guess for low carbs their not the best (6g), but they only have 25 calories per bar and zero fat! Much healthier alternative to regular popsicles.

    ReplyDelete